Anyone else notice slow firmware updates when Buddy Update is enabled? I’m using a new UD2 as the Buddy Update server, and the clients are painfully slow. This is all on a gigabit LAN, and the server and clients are basically on the same switch, too.
I honestly haven’t tested buddy updates for over a year. Wish I could help, but…
My experience has been the opposite as pushing updates from a buddy device is far faster for remote branches. While we recently ordered a batch of UD2 devices, these have not made their way to our other offices. So, not a complete comparison to your setup. We have a mix of Dell Wyse 5010 and 5060, with the 5010 being the most common model deployed.
It seems to be taking nearly twice as long to update via buddy as opposed to UMS. We don’t want to use UMS for this, since the site is on a very slow link, so I’m hoping to somehow make this a little better. It’d help if disabling firmware features worked (doesn’t appear to be working for us).
I’ll assume yes, but have you double-checked configuration of other devices (router, firewall, etc.) on these subnets to ensure that there isn’t anything set to throttle traffic from the buddy update server to the clients? And, I second your desire for being able to disable firmware features that we don’t use. In my environment using the buddy update method, I’ve been upgrading thin clients from 11.02.x to 11.03.520 (again, mostly Dell Wyse 5010, with a few 5060’s here and there). I anticipate soon-ish that I’ll be able to perform buddy updates with a UD2, and will let you know what I experience.
There’s nothing in between these devices – they’re all connected to the same gigabit switch.
Well, found our issue, which opened another can of worms. This UD2 will only connect at 10MBit. Replace it with any other UD2 we have (same cables, same ports), and they connect at gigabit speeds. This one won’t go past 10.
failure to communicate
Continue reading and comment on the thread ‘Anyone else notice slow IGEL OS firmware updates when Buddy Update is enabled? ‘. Not a member? Join Here!
Learn more, search the IGEL Knowledge Base
Ask a question or comment on the above message thread?Join or log in to the IGEL Community to ask us anything and meet other IGEL customers, partners, and EUC enthusiasts.
Submit a question, or Join Today!
Popular Message Threads
- Receiving error: “Citrix Receiver cannot create a secure connection in this browser” when launching a secure connection from Firefox on IGEL OS
- How to Install IGEL OS via a Bootable USB Drive
- Where to delete the certificates that cause ‘invalid certificate’ when trying to import an IGEL into UMS?
- How to change the default IGEL UMS admin password?
- IGEL UMS Universal Update Error: “could not resolve host name”
- IGEL UD3 (LX50) randomly get this error with Citrix: The X Request 130.1 caused error :”10: BadAccess ( attempt to access private resource denied) any ideas?
- Citrix connection via Netscaler Error: “AM_ERROR_AUTH_NETWORK_ERROR” on IGEL OS