Are there any plans to support exFAT USB storage devices on IGEL OS (LX) in the future? We have an increasing demand from our users to support their newer personal USB storage devices with high capacity and those usually run on exFAT.
This one is for you I assume😑
is it?? 😉
I can remember that we had this topic some month ago but I can’t remember the result of the discussion….
From a technical view: exfat is a Windows based creation and not easy to implement on linux without getting license issues like using fuse…
@member thank you for the keyword – license – I can remember that it was quite expensive because IGEL needs to license each thin client / IGEL OS11 regardless whether the user uses exFAT devices or not
Any alternatives? Mapping the devices into the windows session is something that comes to my mind, but from a performance standpoint probably not the best way to do it.
The problem with exFat is the following: as soon as IGEL as vendor gives its customers the possibility to handle exFAT devices IGEL needs to license exFAT. There is no difference between mounting an exFAT device in the IGEL OS itself or mapping respectively redirecting an exFAT device into the windows session.
You mean redirection? Yes, that works quite well (not such as good like mapping, but ok)!
Yes with native USB redirection. Only problem will be, you need to know all the VIDs if you don’t want to redirect all mass storage devices.
I didn’t know about exFAT licensing — I’ve used it on Linux without noticing any licensing information (I usually need to explicitly accept a non-free licensing for anything I install). It looks like I’ve been using exfat-utils and fuse-exfat, both of use the G.P.L. According to github.com/relan/exfat, exfat is a free exFAT file system implementation. Does that make any difference?
Hi Jeremy as long as you are private user, everything is fine… 😉
But as soon as you become a hardware vendor / OEM you need a license agreement
Note: exFAT storage has been added to IGEL OS!
Continue reading and comment on the thread ‘Are there any plans to support exFAT USB storage devices on IGEL OS in the future?’. Not a member? Join Here!
Learn more, search the IGEL Knowledge Base
Ask a question or comment on the above message thread?Join or log in to the IGEL Community to ask us anything and meet other IGEL customers, partners, and EUC enthusiasts.
Submit a question, or Join Today!
Popular Message Threads
- IGEL UD3 (LX50) randomly get this error with Citrix: The X Request 130.1 caused error :”10: BadAccess ( attempt to access private resource denied) any ideas?
- Error “AM_ERROR_AUTH_NETWORK_ERROR ” adding store in Citrix Workspace App version 20.x on IGEL OS 11.04
- How to Install IGEL OS via a Bootable USB Drive
- Receiving error: “Citrix Receiver cannot create a secure connection in this browser” when launching a secure connection from Firefox on IGEL OS
- How to change the default IGEL UMS admin password?
- Error connecting to Citrix StoreFront “Error adding store: Http error”
- What distro of Linux the IGEL kernel is based on?