Just fooling around in my lab, but preparing for real life. What’s your best practice on this?
Let’s say someone did something stupid/nasty like a rm -rf /opt/igel/* and a reboot on the UMS server. What’s the best way to do a disaster recovery with the (complete) .pbak file from the UMS administration if you’ve forgotten to save a snapshot from the server.
A simple UMS setup seems not enough to fix the installation. Is there a technical documentation how to manually remove a crippled UMS installation? Or do you prefer to redeploy the server, install UMS and restore the .pbak?
Usually, reinstalling the UMS on the same server will recreate to 90% what was deleted.
Of course, everything stored in ums_filetransfer would stay „gone“.
So: backup this ums_filetransfer folder please, if you want to save already deployed files like Firmware Updates, CPs, etc…
Then: restoring a embedded DB Backup is pretty straight forward if you had created a scheduled Admin Task for a regular Backup of (more or less) everything.
I would add also the Backup of the UMS Licensing ID (just to be sure).
But creating a whitepaper on that would make sense, you are right!
I think it’s also important to save uninstall.sh (or similar). This little script uninstalls/unregisters services as well. So to sum up
Make a full backup with UMS Admin
Save all custom files from ums_filetransfer
Then if everything went south
Clean up with uninstall.sh
copy all ums_filetransfer files back
Restore UMS Backup
I will test again, when I have some time left.
Continue reading and comment on the thread ‘Best way to do a disaster recovery with the .pbak file from the UMS administration if you’ve forgotten to save a snapshot from the server?’. Not a member? Join Here!
Learn more, search the IGEL Knowledge Base
Ask a question or comment on the above message thread?Join or log in to the IGEL Community to ask us anything and meet other IGEL customers, partners, and EUC enthusiasts.
Submit a question, or Join Today!
Popular Message Threads
- Receiving error: “Citrix Receiver cannot create a secure connection in this browser” when launching a secure connection from Firefox on IGEL OS
- How to Install IGEL OS via a Bootable USB Drive
- How to change the default IGEL UMS admin password?
- Where to delete the certificates that cause ‘invalid certificate’ when trying to import an IGEL into UMS?
- Citrix connection via Netscaler Error: “AM_ERROR_AUTH_NETWORK_ERROR” on IGEL OS
- IGEL UMS Universal Update Error: “could not resolve host name”
- Error connecting to Citrix StoreFront “Error adding store: Http error”