I have read a lot of older posts on this subject, but nothing new. I need to update 1000+ end points with many at low bandwidth sites. I see the ‘buddy system’ is one option. Do I have other options to do this? In my test rollout at one of our clinics, 92 devices, it took all the bandwidth and around 5hrs to update 60% of the end points. It failed to download the firmware to the other 40% of devices with a ‘Unexpected end of file’, which was due to bandwidth. I have seen mention of on site ftp servers to pull the firmware. I do not have this option unfortunately. Guidance appreciated!
I think buddy option is your best bet here. Download a single copy of the firmware to one of the remote sites, and then the firmware is then deployed for that site from that buddy server.
I would agree – buddy update, combined with good ol sneakernet for your most remote/problematic endpoints: kb.igel.com/igelos-11.05/en/updating-the-firmware-using-a-usb-storage-device-42009271.html
or maybe let the client initiate the update, for example by updating on boot or shutdown if this spreads the load over the day
thanks for confirming all! Regarding Update on boot, does this download the firmware at boot or prior to boot?
it’s downloaded on boot/shutdown, no caching beforehand
Like others said, buddy server that is. You can setup just one per site and a Profile to assign Update On Boot/Shutdown and the rest will follow. In my experience, a buddy server (w/1Gbps) can reliably serves about 10-11 connections at a time, so schedule your TCs reboot/shutdown accordingly.
The buddy update should work for the most part. But if this is going to be something you will need to come back to for all your updating, it may be worth investing in a little bit more server infrastructure to make this easier on yourself. You can host an ftp server on even a workstation sitting in a closet. Http servers work just as well, like if you have an sccm distribution point or something.
Check out How to Use Buddy Update to Update IGEL OS – Video – videos.igelcommunity.com/how-to-use-buddy-update-to-update-igel-os-video/
Ask a question or comment on the above message thread?Join or log in to the IGEL Community to ask us anything and meet other IGEL customers, partners, and EUC enthusiasts.
Submit a question, or Join Today!
Popular Message Threads
- How to Install IGEL OS via a Bootable USB Drive
- Citrix connection via Netscaler Error: “AM_ERROR_AUTH_NETWORK_ERROR” on IGEL OS
- How to change the default IGEL UMS admin password?
- After upgrading to IGEL OS 11.04.200.01 my Citrix Storefront configuration does not work anymore – Error adding store: AM_ERROR_AUTH_NETWORK_ERROR
- Error connecting to Citrix StoreFront “Error adding store: Http error”
- Receiving error: “Citrix Receiver cannot create a secure connection in this browser” when launching a secure connection from Firefox on IGEL OS
- Where to delete the certificates that cause ‘invalid certificate’ when trying to import an IGEL into UMS?