My thin client joined domain and my authentication is using AD. Using the network tools on the thin client, I ping another thin client using COMPUTER NAME. It didn’t work. When I change it to IP, it works fine. Any idea what settings I miss out ?
I try to enable DNS entering NameServer 1 and 2 without Default Domain. It broke my thin client connection with UMS. Then, I need to access the physical thin client to remove the DNS setting to get it back working.
Just wonder if you guys manage to get the computer name working ?
So when you set up a thin client for Active Directory authentication it isn’t _actually_ joined to the AD domain, it’s just using a Kerberos call and response to a DC to confirm that your credentials are valid. This means that DNS A records aren’t automatically created like you would expect for domain-joined Windows machines. If you wanted thin clients to update their DNS records, you would need to configure this under LAN Interfaces > Dynamic DNS registration and make sure DDNS is set up for that forward lookup zone in particular – if Windows is responsible for DNS, I believe you would need to allow nonsecure dynamic updates. Please configure this at your own risk and only if you have a thorough understanding of DNS in your environment 🙂
I will test it accordingly. Thanks.
Do I need the key file ?
only if your DNS server requires a TSIG key for dynamic updates 🙂 tbh, I would only really do this in combination with DHCP
It’s probably easier to let DHCP handle the DNS registration, that’s what we do here.
Ok, I will use DHCP to test it out
I have a similar problem with the DNS registration. whats exactly meant by letting the DHCP handling the registration? I had an earlier configuration of our thin clients where the DNS registration just worked fine (it’s in german though). With OS 11 installed, do i have to change some of the settings?
If you want the client to update the DNS records, you need to allow unsecure DNS updates for the particular DNS zone – assuming you’re using Windows DNS Servers
Continue reading and comment on the thread ‘Can’t ping another IGEL thin client using COMPUTER NAME, not able to connect via name? ‘. Not a member? Join Here!
Learn more, search the IGEL Knowledge Base
Ask a question or comment on the above message thread?Join or log in to the IGEL Community to ask us anything and meet other IGEL customers, partners, and EUC enthusiasts.
Submit a question, or Join Today!
Popular Message Threads
- Receiving error: “Citrix Receiver cannot create a secure connection in this browser” when launching a secure connection from Firefox on IGEL OS
- How to Install IGEL OS via a Bootable USB Drive
- Where to delete the certificates that cause ‘invalid certificate’ when trying to import an IGEL into UMS?
- How to change the default IGEL UMS admin password?
- IGEL UMS Universal Update Error: “could not resolve host name”
- IGEL UD3 (LX50) randomly get this error with Citrix: The X Request 130.1 caused error :”10: BadAccess ( attempt to access private resource denied) any ideas?
- Citrix connection via Netscaler Error: “AM_ERROR_AUTH_NETWORK_ERROR” on IGEL OS