Does anyone have experience with compressing core dumps before they are written to disc? A vendor wants core dumps for a certain problem with their program, but it makes large core dumps (over 100MB), so I want to reduce writes to storage as well as download times.
First, I made a script as /wfs/core.sh:
/usr/bin/xz -1 > /wfs/user/core.xz
Then a boot command:
/bin/echo “user soft core unlimited” >> /etc/security/limits.conf
/bin/echo “user hard core unlimited” >> /etc/security/limits.conf
/bin/echo ” | /wfs/core.sh” > /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern
and finally a custom application:
pkill -11 programname
However, it is not making the core dump, and I see no errors in the logs. Does anyone have any ideas?
Using ‘/bin/echo “/tmp/core” > /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern’ and compressing the file from there worked well enough.
Great! I wasn‘t able to test your procedure until now. Just a hint: using the Custom Partition feature itself (System=>Firmware Customization=>Custom Partition=>Partition) would create a persistent RW partition. The size could be 1-2Gb if needed and be set up as target for your script. wfs idn‘t really meant for that
Continue reading and comment on the thread ‘How to compress core dumps before they are written to disc on IGEL OS?’. Not a member? Join Here!
Learn more, search the IGEL Knowledge Base
Ask a question or comment on the above message thread?Join or log in to the IGEL Community to ask us anything and meet other IGEL customers, partners, and EUC enthusiasts.
Submit a question, or Join Today!
Popular Message Threads
- How to Install IGEL OS via a Bootable USB Drive
- USB webcams in combination with RDP on IGEL OS?
- Receiving error: “Citrix Receiver cannot create a secure connection in this browser” when launching a secure connection from Firefox on IGEL OS
- After upgrading to IGEL OS 11.04.200.01 my Citrix Storefront configuration does not work anymore – Error adding store: AM_ERROR_AUTH_NETWORK_ERROR
- IGEL UMS Universal Update Error: “could not resolve host name”
- Any plans to support Teams Optimization Pack for VMware?
- Citrix connection via Netscaler Error: “AM_ERROR_AUTH_NETWORK_ERROR” on IGEL OS