The following steps detail how to install the UMS in a Microsoft Windows environment:
1. First, you will want to configure the network to allow the client devices to find the IGEL UMS automatically without user interaction. When an IGEL OS boots, it attempts to establish a connection with a UMS server. The client looks for the UMS server by the name of igelrmserver.
You can configure automatic client detection in two ways:
- Create a DNS entry – Create a DNS A record named ‘igelrmserver’ with the IP address of the UMS server.
- Create a DHCP option (224) – Set the DHCP option 224 as a string, not a DWORD, to the IP address of the server by adding the following to the dhcpd.conf file in the appropriate section. For example, in the global area:
option igelrmserver code 224 = text
option igelrmserver “<IP of the UMS server>”
|The above step is not required, although highly recommended. Learn more at kb.igel.com/endpointmgmt-6.04/en/registering-devices-automatically-26035280.html.|
2. Copy the IGEL UMS installation program you downloaded above to the Window Server you wish to install the UMS on and double-click to execute the installation program. Click Next to continue.
3. Read and agree to the IGEL UMS License Agreement. Click to select the I accept the agreement checkbox then click the Next button to continue.
- Click Next to continue.
- Enter the desired location to install the UMS system files and click Next to continue.
6. You are prompted to select the components you wish to install. For this example, please accept the defaults.
|Learn more about the different UMS components at kb.igel.com/endpointmgmt-6.04/en/installation-on-windows-26034749.html.|
Click Next to continue.
7. You are presented with the UMS memory requirement screen. Verify you meet the minimum requirements and click the Next button to continue.
|For a default installation, the UMS require approximately 500M in the beginning. It grows over the lifespan of the UMS deployment. 2 GB would be fine for even the largest installations. Of course, this is excluding any IGEL firmware updates or windows snapshots. Firmware updates take up to 2 GB each, and Windows Images can be as large as 6 GB. Not to mention, if you are using the Asset Inventory Tracking feature, you might want to add additional space, depending on the size of your deployment, the number of devices you are tracking, and the number of images you plan to store. Please mind-your-step as you might find yourself running out of disk space.|
8. Enter the location you wish to store the UMS data directory. The data directory is where large files, such as firmware, are stored.
|Be mindful of the location of the UMS data directory as it grows over time. It is highly recommended that you select an expandable volume.|
Click Next to continue.
9. Next, you are required to create the database’s superuser account. The superuser account is used to login to the UMS and has full access to the UMS It is not a Windows user account, but a user created specifically for the IGEL UMS.
|Usernames and passwords are essential. Never use a username such as ‘Admin’ or ‘Administrator’ as if in the future you would like to move the database from the UMS to a dedicated MySQL server, the DBA might not want that. Plus, as always, follow stringent guidelines for passwords as if someone gains access, they learn the keys to your IGEL kingdom.
Be aware, both the UseRnaMe and PaSswOrd are case sensitive.
Enter the desired username and password and click Next to continue.
|On the UMS server, there is an application called rmadmin.exe (UMS Administrator). Within this application, you see the root UMS account name and can change the root UMS accounts password without knowing the original password.|
10 You are prompted to enter the location where the setup places the shortcut to the IGEL UMS server’s console. Enter the desired location and click Next to continue.
- Please verify the settings are correct and click the Install button for setup to install the IGEL UMS.
|It is possible that your Anti-Virus software could prevent the installation program from properly installing the UMS due to the size of the UMS’ .jar file. If you experience this issue, please disable any Anti-Virus and restart the installation.|
12. Depending on the speed of the server, this could take a few moments.
13. If all goes as planned, you are prompted to click the Finish button to close the UMS installation program.
Click the Finish button to continue.
14. You notice the IGEL UMS Console’s shortcut on the server’s desktop or the location you specified during installation. Go ahead and double-click it to launch the UMS Console and login for the first time!
15. You are presented with the IGEL Universal Management Suite – Connect to Since you are running the UMS Console from the server, there is no requirement to enter the server IP/DNS as it defaults to the local machine. If you previously created the ‘igelrmserver’ DNS record, you can use it or ‘localhost’.
Enter the default port number (8443), username, and password, as configured in step 8 above.
Click the Connect button to connect to the UMS.
16. If the stars aligned or you correctly followed the above steps, you should see the UMS Console!
17. A new feature introduced in UMS 5.09.100 allows you to be notified of newly available IGEL OS updates, IGEL OS licenses, or UMS licenses. By default, the notification feature is enabled for all notification types. Select the desired setting and click the OK button to continue.
|Learn more about UMS notifications at kb.igel.com/endpointmgmt-6.04/en/notifications-always-be-informed-26034989.html.|
18.You are brought to the UMS home page and are ready to start creating policies and adding IGEL clients. However, in due time my friend, you still have a bit of work left to do.
Ask a question or comment on the above messasge thread?Join or log in to the IGEL Community to ask us anything and meet other IGEL customers, partners, and EUC enthusiasts.
Submit a question, or Join Today!
Popular Message Threads
- USB webcams in combination with RDP on IGEL OS?
- IGEL OS on Raspberry Pi?
- Can I to use Remote desktop and webcam support via a thin client with IGEL software?
- Citrix session crashes with black screen, any advice and how do I find logging?
- IGEL UMS Universal Update Error: “could not resolve host name”
- After upgrading to IGEL OS 11.04.200.01 my Citrix Storefront configuration does not work anymore – Error adding store: AM_ERROR_AUTH_NETWORK_ERROR
- What is required for Zoom VDI/Zoom Media Plugin for Citrix on IGEL OS?