we want to manually rename our IGEL Clients after automatically import in the UMS. The UMS-internal name will change the network/host name of the device. That’s great.
But we want to avoid to have duplicate names in the UMS. Is there any possiblity to deny a renaming if the device name (UMS internal name) already exist in the UMS?
No, the device name is not a unique identifier in UMS, so there isn’t a good way to prevent this.
Do you have a naming scheme?
We have a Nameing Schema based on the Local Asset set in the Bios of our Dell machines. So I wrote a CP App that reads the Local Bios and provides the Desktop Person that imaged the deivce to set the Name locally on the device and if not in the bios allows them to manually name the device locally. Then it will push the info to the UMS and change the name on the UMS server to match the device name. Do not know if this will help you, but would be happy to share the process or talk about it with you to see what might work for you.
Yes, we have a naming scheme but this naming scheme is dependent on the future function and locality. It’s not that easy that all devices gets the same name with ascending number.
> It’s not that easy that all devices gets the same name with ascending number.
Edit: if it would be independent of function and location ~if i understand that correctly~, that functionality maybe provided by the UMS itself (attached screenshot).
other methods are available as well:
• as @member said above, you could create a script run on the devices, that would set the name (by using hardware information or even prompting for manual input), which in turn could be used by the ums
• you can (re)import the devices with a new name: kb.igel.com/endpointmgmt-6.06/en/import-with-long-format-37282018.html
• you can import the devices via API and a proper name
• you could rename the devices via API – but that feature is bugged atm (ticket with IGEL exists)
and if the above is not helping, you can create automatic reports via API that shows you devices with the same name, so you could correct that.
Continue reading and comment on the thread ‘How to prevent duplicate IGEL OS device names when renaming devices in the IGEL UMS? ‘. Not a member? Join Here!
Learn more, search the IGEL Knowledge Base
Ask a question or comment on the above message thread?Join or log in to the IGEL Community to ask us anything and meet other IGEL customers, partners, and EUC enthusiasts.
Submit a question, or Join Today!
Popular Message Threads
- Error “AM_ERROR_AUTH_NETWORK_ERROR ” adding store in Citrix Workspace App version 20.x on IGEL OS 11.04
- How to Install IGEL OS via a Bootable USB Drive
- How to change the default IGEL UMS admin password?
- Receiving error: “Citrix Receiver cannot create a secure connection in this browser” when launching a secure connection from Firefox on IGEL OS
- Error connecting to Citrix StoreFront “Error adding store: Http error”
- IGEL UMS Universal Update Error: “could not resolve host name”
- What distro of Linux the IGEL kernel is based on?