Following on from this question:
I want iGel OS to run Chromium in kiosk mode and to be able to launch ‘xfreerdp’ when a ‘.rdp’ file is downloaded (the kiosk will have a landing page and some links on the page that may be ‘.rdp’ files).
I can make iGel OS do what I want by editing/creating files on an unlocked iGel OS terminal:
1) Create a new file called ‘rdp.desktop’ in “/usr/share/applications”
2) Modify the file “/userhome/.config/chromium/Default/Preferences” to add “rdp” to “download.extension_to_open”
3) Modify “/userhome/.config/mimeapps.list” to add “application/octet-stream=rdp.desktop” to the section “[Default Applications]”
Can I apply these changes to a terminal via policy?
hi Gavin, can you share the commands / modifications you used? we could try to script it!
Well, at its’ absolute simplest the installation script, call it ‘install_rdp_config.sh’, would simply copy pre-canned configuration files in to place.
cp /wfs/Preferences_rdp_v1.0.0 /userhome/.config/chromium/Default/Preferences
cp /wfs/mimeapps.list.rdp_v1.0.0 /userhome/.config/mimeapps.list
cp /wfs/rdp.desktop_v1.0.0 /usr/share/applications/rdp.desktop
If more sophistication is required I could use “jq” to update ‘Preferences’ and “awk” to update ‘mimeapps.list’. I think ‘rdp.desktop’ would always be a file copy.
The important point is that I will have iGel OS configured to run Chromium at start up in kiosk mode and these configuration files need to be in place before chromium starts.
AWK / SED would be te best way, but basically if you want to test first:
deploy the files like you already did (assuming you used files inside UMS).
create a profile and put
as Final Network command, under System, Firmware Customization, Network
Thanks for that. I’ll give it a try.
Continue reading and comment on the thread ‘How to run Chromium in kiosk mode and to be able to launch ‘xfreerdp’ when a ‘.rdp’ file is downloaded on IGEL OS?’. Not a member? Join Here!
Learn more, search the IGEL Knowledge Base
Ask a question or comment on the above message thread?Join or log in to the IGEL Community to ask us anything and meet other IGEL customers, partners, and EUC enthusiasts.
Submit a question, or Join Today!
Popular Message Threads
- How to Install IGEL OS via a Bootable USB Drive
- Citrix connection via Netscaler Error: “AM_ERROR_AUTH_NETWORK_ERROR” on IGEL OS
- How to change the default IGEL UMS admin password?
- After upgrading to IGEL OS 11.04.200.01 my Citrix Storefront configuration does not work anymore – Error adding store: AM_ERROR_AUTH_NETWORK_ERROR
- Error connecting to Citrix StoreFront “Error adding store: Http error”
- Receiving error: “Citrix Receiver cannot create a secure connection in this browser” when launching a secure connection from Firefox on IGEL OS
- Where to delete the certificates that cause ‘invalid certificate’ when trying to import an IGEL into UMS?