IGEL OS screens are stuck and unresponsive for hours
Is that a new installation in VirtualBox? I had zero success running IGEL OS 11 in VirtualBox. I tried on multiple machines (Windows and Mac), checked/changed virtualization settings etc. I would get the same thing — I could install it but during the boot up, it would hang on the “IGEL WORKSPACE” load screen indefinitely. I ended up having to repurpose an old Windows laptop to test IGEL OS 11, install UMS on a Windows machine, and I was able to set up the ICG on a both Ubuntu and CentOS machines in VirtualBox on a separate Linux machine that I have.
We did a deep dive on the Vbox issues — there are a few things going on
1. IGEL apparently uses an older version for some video drivers. IGEL, by default does a probe / capabilities enumeration routine that is not fully compatible with the screwy method that VBox manages the software rendering for the display. There are a few solutions to this — set the display ram to less than 64MB to choke the VBox resources. This causes Virtual Box to use a generic display profile with IGEL OS 11
2. IGEL does not play well with Virtual Box dynamic file system allocation — it causes a timeout from VBOX to IGEL. The solution is to use Darik Boot and Nuke on the IGEL Virtual Machine to format the virtual drive instance before installing IGEL OS 11 on virtual box. This ensures the entire drive partition is allocated prior to running the IGEL OS 11 install.
3. Don’t use a NAT interface within Virtual Box. The NAT router is buggy. Bridge the primary interface
Continue reading and comment on the thread ‘IGEL OS Start Screen stuck and unresponsive in VirtualBox’. Not a member? Join Here!
Learn more, search the IGEL Knowledge Base
Ask a question or comment on the above messasge thread?Join or log in to the IGEL Community to ask us anything and meet other IGEL customers, partners, and EUC enthusiasts.
Submit a question, or Join Today!
Popular Message Threads
- USB webcams in combination with RDP on IGEL OS?
- IGEL OS on Raspberry Pi?
- After upgrading to IGEL OS 11.04.200.01 my Citrix Storefront configuration does not work anymore – Error adding store: AM_ERROR_AUTH_NETWORK_ERROR
- Citrix session crashes with black screen, any advice and how do I find logging?
- Can I to use Remote desktop and webcam support via a thin client with IGEL software?
- IGEL UMS Universal Update Error: “could not resolve host name”
- What is required for Zoom VDI/Zoom Media Plugin for Citrix on IGEL OS?