Hi everyone! When working with larger environments, how many thin clients can an individual UMS support? Looking at the HA documentation, it looks like each UMS can support up to 2,000 devices. Is this IGEL’s best practice sizing guidance? Here’s the article I’m referring to: kb.igel.com/endpointmgmt-5.08/en/scenario-1-load-balancing-911116.html
Hi Jose, well, there is a difference between recommended and market experience. Usually, we spoked about a network limitation which limited the amount of parallel requests to UMS Server at approx. 500. Since we moved to x64 UMS, this limit chnaged also.
It depends from the kind of usage, but about 1000-2000 endpoints per Server should be fine.
If you want to keep it even more balanced, install 2 separate Loadbalancer Server and two separate UMS Server. But, to be honest, we have a couple of enterprise Level customers which are using only one UMS Server for >15.000 Endpoints.
Don’t forget to perform Firmware Updates via a separate (S)FTP(S)/HTTP(S) Servr that consumes IMHO more ressources and to keep the DB Server (and latencies) in mind…
IGEL Employees: what are your thoughts?
Good points! I have a follow up question. When setting up the HA extension, does option 224 need to be set up to point to both load balancers?
Option 224 should point to one Loadbalancer (and that’s the pain point on DHCP), for the “loadbalancing” of the Loadbalancer requests, I would use the DNS Alias Round Robin instead.
Got it. Thank you!
When I reached over 2,000 I completely lost connection to ICG. I am at 2,500 and still going. IGEL had to provide a private build for a larger threshold.
We speak about ICG<=>UMS on your side, right?
Thanks for sharing that experience!
Yes, that is correct. Forgot to mention.
Thank you for sharing @member
Ask a question or comment on the above message thread?Join or log in to the IGEL Community to ask us anything and meet other IGEL customers, partners, and EUC enthusiasts.
Submit a question, or Join Today!
Popular Message Threads
- IGEL UD3 (LX50) randomly get this error with Citrix: The X Request 130.1 caused error :”10: BadAccess ( attempt to access private resource denied) any ideas?
- Error “AM_ERROR_AUTH_NETWORK_ERROR ” adding store in Citrix Workspace App version 20.x on IGEL OS 11.04
- How to Install IGEL OS via a Bootable USB Drive
- Receiving error: “Citrix Receiver cannot create a secure connection in this browser” when launching a secure connection from Firefox on IGEL OS
- How to change the default IGEL UMS admin password?
- Error connecting to Citrix StoreFront “Error adding store: Http error”
- What distro of Linux the IGEL kernel is based on?