My first post! – search hasn’t yielded much for me, so thought I’d just ask: We are looking at converting quite a few old desktops to IGEL. One thought we has was to simply image a bunch of SSDs from a base image. What steps would we need to take to make this happen smoothly? (No duplicate IDs, etc) Are there any guides out there?
Hi Joel! Welcome! Did you thought about deploying the Image through a PXE Network? In that case, Igel delivers a preinstalled Appliance: myigel.biz/index.php?dir=IGEL_UDC_DEPLOYMENT_APPLIANCE/
incl. unattended installation
or you can use your own by importing ISO included here: fwu.igel.com/files/IGEL_OS_11/OSC/OSC_11.01.100.zip
Using a converting stick is also an option: kb.igel.com/igelos-11.01.100/en/create-usb-installation-medium-windows-10327328.html
In all of above, you don‘t have to think about duplicate IDs, or similar.
Thanks. I hadn’t thought about PXE (All static IP environment, no DHCP server setup anywhere, but could possibly add one just for the conversion process, remove when complete…) I’ll look into that. Original thought was that many, if not all of the PCs we would be converting have spinning HDDs in them; Small SSDs are cheap and easy to come by these days.. So a nice little upgrade for the PCs, and if we shipped them out to the individual banks pre-imaged, front line support at the banks could just swap the new SSD in, startup the device with maybe a small script to run to “see” the correct MAC address and set appropriate IDs before setting the static IP and registering to the UMS. That was the thought process at least, Am I way off base?
No, that makes absolutely sense to me. I would use a Master device (freshly installed by OS Creator Stick) where no license or UMS Registration is assigned. There create a Master Image by using DD, and then roll it out on several SSDs by using a Linux System and dd again.
Sent you a PM with a few Linux commands!
Continue reading and comment on the thread ‘Is it possible to image a bunch of SSDs from a base image to convert old desktops to IGEL OS?’. Not a member? Join Here!
Learn more, search the IGEL Knowledge Base
Ask a question or comment on the above message thread?Join or log in to the IGEL Community to ask us anything and meet other IGEL customers, partners, and EUC enthusiasts.
Submit a question, or Join Today!
Popular Message Threads
- Error “AM_ERROR_AUTH_NETWORK_ERROR ” adding store in Citrix Workspace App version 20.x on IGEL OS 11.04
- How to Install IGEL OS via a Bootable USB Drive
- How to change the default IGEL UMS admin password?
- Receiving error: “Citrix Receiver cannot create a secure connection in this browser” when launching a secure connection from Firefox on IGEL OS
- What distro of Linux the IGEL kernel is based on?
- IGEL UD3 (LX50) randomly get this error with Citrix: The X Request 130.1 caused error :”10: BadAccess ( attempt to access private resource denied) any ideas?
- Where to delete the certificates that cause ‘invalid certificate’ when trying to import an IGEL into UMS?