I would like to install UMS on a Linux distribution. Now I’m looking for more specific requirements. For example “Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit” or “Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.3 64-bit” come in different tastes. (Minimal, Server, Full, with Desktop, without etc.) Is there any technical documentation about what has been tested by IGEL? For example what package group on what base-iso has to be used? The goal is of course to have a minimal system footprint and a system that does only things it is meant to do. (UMS-ing;-)
EDIT: The Console bit doesn’t have to run on this server as we’d like to run it on our Management-Desktops. So basically it needs no GUI 🙂
Well… for some parts, you would need a GUI (at least in SSH X11 Forwarding, but I prefer Gui) as for UMS Administrator (which is needed for DB Config a.e.).
As Sebastien said, you do need a G.U.I. for the U.M.S. administrator — unless Igel were to make an ncurses or configuration file-based interface for that, or maybe a web configuration tool accessible from another computer. 🙂 However, it might not be too inconvenient just to use SSH with X11 forwarding for that, since I think that it’s all that you need. Technically, you need just the X.org X.org server, so you don’t need to install a desktop environment.
Thank you guys! So basically I need a minimal installation plus GUI.
I’m not yet familiar with X11 forwarding, but it sounds like something I want to try. Because for example the Gnome Desktop installs around 1000 .deb packets and I’m eager to minimize the footprint/complexity of the os. (And because a GUI is just not nerdy enough.)
Besides, who installs a G.U.I. on a server, anyway?? 🙂
I’ve tried. And I’v failed. X11-forwarding requires more knowledge. As I don’t want to reverse engineer what packets are necessary, this is now the configuration of my choice:
Centos 7 (minimal) for ICG
Centos 7 (minimal + Desktop GNOME) for UMS
Continue reading and comment on the thread ‘Looking for more specific requirements for Linux distribution to run IGEL UMS’. Not a member? Join Here!
Learn more, search the IGEL Knowledge Base
Ask a question or comment on the above message thread?Join or log in to the IGEL Community to ask us anything and meet other IGEL customers, partners, and EUC enthusiasts.
Submit a question, or Join Today!
Popular Message Threads
- IGEL UD3 (LX50) randomly get this error with Citrix: The X Request 130.1 caused error :”10: BadAccess ( attempt to access private resource denied) any ideas?
- Error “AM_ERROR_AUTH_NETWORK_ERROR ” adding store in Citrix Workspace App version 20.x on IGEL OS 11.04
- How to Install IGEL OS via a Bootable USB Drive
- Receiving error: “Citrix Receiver cannot create a secure connection in this browser” when launching a secure connection from Firefox on IGEL OS
- How to change the default IGEL UMS admin password?
- Error connecting to Citrix StoreFront “Error adding store: Http error”
- What distro of Linux the IGEL kernel is based on?