Hello, I am really confused about Microsoft license requirements for thin clients and have a question about Microsoft licensing. Lets assume that customer will use 100x IGEL OS thin clients and those will connect Win 10 desktops under Citrix environment. (50 x win10 desktops non-persistent) Does customer need to buy any VDA or SA license for this deployment ? If yes, how many?
Yes, assuming this is VDI, and not remote PC, when you will need to buy VDA licenses. These can be either per user, or per device.
It’s a numbers game. Get pricing for both, and determine which one is cheaper, and meets your licensing requirements. The easiest way is to buy 100 VDA per device licenses (this will cover your IGEL units).
Thanks Barry. seems like, when we use IGEL for VDI , at the end VDA license cost would exceed IGEL part (for 3 years or 5 years calculation). According to following kb, it is 100$ /year/device, am i right?
I think it depends on the volume, but $100/year for MS licensing does sound about correct. From our perspective, the IGEL component is the cheap part of VDI. We try to run as much as we can natively on IGEL OS (for example, those users who only need access to a browser, and a softphone) to avoid what we call the Microsoft tax.
thanks Barry !
Continue reading and comment on the thread ‘Microsoft license requirements for thin clients?’. Not a member? Join Here!
Learn more, search the IGEL Knowledge Base
Ask a question or comment on the above message thread?Join or log in to the IGEL Community to ask us anything and meet other IGEL customers, partners, and EUC enthusiasts.
Submit a question, or Join Today!
Popular Message Threads
- IGEL UD3 (LX50) randomly get this error with Citrix: The X Request 130.1 caused error :”10: BadAccess ( attempt to access private resource denied) any ideas?
- Error “AM_ERROR_AUTH_NETWORK_ERROR ” adding store in Citrix Workspace App version 20.x on IGEL OS 11.04
- How to Install IGEL OS via a Bootable USB Drive
- How to change the default IGEL UMS admin password?
- Receiving error: “Citrix Receiver cannot create a secure connection in this browser” when launching a secure connection from Firefox on IGEL OS
- Error connecting to Citrix StoreFront “Error adding store: Http error”
- What distro of Linux the IGEL kernel is based on?