As some of you have seen, I’ve been working on a way to use the built-in OpenVPN client with a pre-configured .ovpn file.
I have the following solution which I have confirmed as working with another user on a different VPN. It’s a WIP and currently has quite basic functionality. Any suggestions or improvement would be appreciated!
• in the UMS, right click on Files, select New File
• browse for your .ovpn file
• set the Devices File location as /wfs/
• hit OK and the file should now be in the UMS
• assign this file object to a test device
• create a new profile and call it something like OpenVPN Connection
• open the profile and go to System > Firmware Customization > Custom Commands > Network> Final network command
• paste the following command into that field, after replacing example.ovpn with the correct filename
• `while :; do if [ -z $(pgrep openvpn) ]; then echo “openvpn is not running”; openvpn –config /wfs/example.ovpn –auth-user-pass <(echo -e $(zenity –forms –text=”Enter your VPN credentials” –add-entry=Username –add-password=Password –title=OpenVPN) | sed ‘s/|/n/’); else echo “openvpn is running”; fi; sleep 1; done &`
• save this profile and assign it to the test device
• reboot the device and you should now see a login window for OpenVPN
• if you login with empty/incorrect credentials or the OpenVPN client fails for some reason, the login window will reappear
• if you login successfully, you will see a “Networking connecting” popup appear briefly – you won’t see any other indicator however and there isn’t an option to disconnect after you have connected except rebooting the thin-client
• to remove this OpenVPN connection from the settings, unassign the profile from the thin-client and reboot it
Continue reading and comment on ‘Ways to use the built-in OpenVPN client with a pre-configured .ovpn file via IGEL’. Not a member? Join Here!
Learn more, search the IGEL Knowledge Base
Ask a question or comment on the above message thread?Join or log in to the IGEL Community to ask us anything and meet other IGEL customers, partners, and EUC enthusiasts.
Submit a question, or Join Today!
Popular Message Threads
- How to Install IGEL OS via a Bootable USB Drive
- Error “AM_ERROR_AUTH_NETWORK_ERROR ” adding store in Citrix Workspace App version 20.x on IGEL OS 11.04
- How to change the default IGEL UMS admin password?
- Error connecting to Citrix StoreFront “Error adding store: Http error”
- Receiving error: “Citrix Receiver cannot create a secure connection in this browser” when launching a secure connection from Firefox on IGEL OS
- Where to delete the certificates that cause ‘invalid certificate’ when trying to import an IGEL into UMS?
- IGEL UMS Universal Update Error: “could not resolve host name”