So I have a question regarding the update process for the UMS. I haven’t done an actual UMS update, firmware on our UD3 units yes, but not the actual UMS console. My biggest question is, our environment has one instance of UMS, there isn’t a backup or secondary instance because we’re a pretty low traffic environment. With a single instance, does that mean it would require the UMS to go down while applying an update? Meaning users would not be able to connect? Would users who are already connected be disconnected if the UMS were to go down? I apologize if these seem like trivial questions, but the only documentation I can find discusses HA environments, or how to update firmware. Ultimately I am trying to determine if the UMS update will require after hours work, or if this can be done during business hours. Any resources or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time. 😊
If clients can not connect to the ums, they use their existing config
Users wont be bothered (running firmware-updates or fileuploads etc. would be disconnected)
an update – normally – doesn’t take more than 10 minutes. and like Falk already said – as long as the devices can’t connect to the UMS they’re using their existing config
an end user doesn’t know whether his device is connected to the UMS or not. Normally the devices connects in the morning after booting up and checks for new settings. It makes no sense if a device permanently checks for updates. It only get’s a notification when a profile is assigned to it. And here – hopefully – the admin configured that the update will be executed during shut down in the evening or booting up in the morning.
UMS upgrades are a simple menu click and painless
Thank you for all of the feedback, this was very helpful!
Continue reading and comment on the thread ‘What happens if IGEL OS devices can’t connect to UMS (during maintenance, for example)’. Not a member? Join Here!
Learn more, search the IGEL Knowledge Base
Ask a question or comment on the above message thread?Join or log in to the IGEL Community to ask us anything and meet other IGEL customers, partners, and EUC enthusiasts.
Submit a question, or Join Today!
Popular Message Threads
- Error “AM_ERROR_AUTH_NETWORK_ERROR ” adding store in Citrix Workspace App version 20.x on IGEL OS 11.04
- How to Install IGEL OS via a Bootable USB Drive
- How to change the default IGEL UMS admin password?
- Receiving error: “Citrix Receiver cannot create a secure connection in this browser” when launching a secure connection from Firefox on IGEL OS
- What distro of Linux the IGEL kernel is based on?
- IGEL UD3 (LX50) randomly get this error with Citrix: The X Request 130.1 caused error :”10: BadAccess ( attempt to access private resource denied) any ideas?
- Where to delete the certificates that cause ‘invalid certificate’ when trying to import an IGEL into UMS?