Our current PCs running UDC3 are coming up for replacement and we’re looking at refreshing them with some kind of Dell desktop. I’m wondering if there is some kind of guide in regards to hardware specs but more like what hardware can I add to maximize the performance of UDC3 or what hardware would be a waste to put in a UDC3. For example, if we added 32gb of ram or SSD hard drives, I’m guessing that wouldn’t be used too much by UDC3?
It wouldn‘t make sense to increase the drive size IMHO, of course having SSD instead of HDD would makes sense. If you plan to increase something (since I‘m assuming your actual HDD/SSDs are bigger than 4-8GB), I would go for RAM or GPU if you think that Multimedia or H264/265 will impact your work.
Bigger drives would be helpful when using big Custom Partitions, local files (Sane Scanner) or local services.
Thanks. So GPUs on the actual client would help or would that also require/depend on VMware Horizon that we are using? Is there a point where UDC3 will take advantage a certain amount of ram? For example would it be overkill to have more ram on the physical hardware than the VMs that are being served up?
It depends from what you plan to do, Blast extreme is different from horizon with RDP.
On Ram, no, I believe that everything between 4-8Gb is more than enough, and I mean really more than enough for the next few years.
We are using Blast Extreme right now. The current PCs have stock integrated video.
Continue reading and comment on the thread ‘What hardware would maximize the performance of IGEL OS UDC3 or what hardware would be a waste?’. Not a member? Join Here!
Learn more, search the IGEL Knowledge Base
Ask a question or comment on the above message thread?Join or log in to the IGEL Community to ask us anything and meet other IGEL customers, partners, and EUC enthusiasts.
Submit a question, or Join Today!
Popular Message Threads
- Receiving error: “Citrix Receiver cannot create a secure connection in this browser” when launching a secure connection from Firefox on IGEL OS
- How to Install IGEL OS via a Bootable USB Drive
- How to change the default IGEL UMS admin password?
- Where to delete the certificates that cause ‘invalid certificate’ when trying to import an IGEL into UMS?
- IGEL UMS Universal Update Error: “could not resolve host name”
- Citrix connection via Netscaler Error: “AM_ERROR_AUTH_NETWORK_ERROR” on IGEL OS
- Error connecting to Citrix StoreFront “Error adding store: Http error”