Hi, a potential customer is asking me what he has to choose (read: what is best) to use in a VDI environment: Igel UD2/3-LX or Igel Zero CLient . I personally have no experience with the Igel Zero client zo I thought; Let’s ask my Igel Friends for advise 😉
Hi Henk-Jan! The difference is actually that the IZ-clients only supports one VDI-service; Citrix HDX, Vmware Horizon or Microsoft RDS/RFX. In the UD-clients You get support for all of them. Hardware is the same (IZ2 = UD2 and IZ3 = UD3). IZ-clients aslo has 3 years warranty while UD has up to 5 years.
And, I would like to add one killer argument for UD instead of IZ: Custom Partition is available there (instead of IZ). One advantage of IZ (actually): Multimedia Codec Pack is included (on UD has to be ordered and paid separately).
So: standard use, low budget: IZ, more polyvalent use and future proof: UD
we have both, for vdi i never missed the ud features and iz is great. i think there is/was even a upgrade path from iz to ud
Let’s not forget the warranty, IZ units have 3 years warranty and UD units 5 years. (except for UD 9)
Is it possible to configure browser sessions as well on IZ-devices, and can the firmware be changed from IZ to UD or the other way?
Yes, browser is included, in every case. Yes, you are able to order a upgrade license which change the IZ to a UD Device.
IZ units are a little under powered for GPU enabled desktopsworkloads so i would say that “it depends” part on what they are brokering to.
Continue reading and comment on the thread ‘What is best to use in a VDI environment: IGEL UD 2 / 3 or IGEL Zero CLient?’. Not a member? Join Here!
Learn more, search the IGEL Knowledge Base
Ask a question or comment on the above message thread?Join or log in to the IGEL Community to ask us anything and meet other IGEL customers, partners, and EUC enthusiasts.
Submit a question, or Join Today!
Popular Message Threads
- IGEL UD3 (LX50) randomly get this error with Citrix: The X Request 130.1 caused error :”10: BadAccess ( attempt to access private resource denied) any ideas?
- Error “AM_ERROR_AUTH_NETWORK_ERROR ” adding store in Citrix Workspace App version 20.x on IGEL OS 11.04
- How to Install IGEL OS via a Bootable USB Drive
- How to change the default IGEL UMS admin password?
- Receiving error: “Citrix Receiver cannot create a secure connection in this browser” when launching a secure connection from Firefox on IGEL OS
- Error connecting to Citrix StoreFront “Error adding store: Http error”
- What distro of Linux the IGEL kernel is based on?