Just a curiosity here…why is it that UMS is designed to only allow you to create profiles based on firmware versions that have been applied to an endpoint that has registered? This has always seemed backward. I feel like it makes more sense to allow that once a particular firmware is loaded into UMS. Maybe there is a reason for that I’m not aware of??
Only thing I ever came up with in my head is so people wouldn’t blindly base a profile off a newer firmware version than what is on the endpoint…
Yes there is a reason: It is only possible to bind a profile to machine when this machine is part of the database and the profile assignment table is part of the machine configuration. So without machine there is no place to bind the profile.
Figured it was something! hahaha
thanks! My brain can rest easier now…lol
Well, your question makes perfectly sense and I will try to answer as best as I can.
The Universal Firmware Update can be uploaded to UMS, but also to external folders like a Webserver or Ftp whatever server but your DB would never get that informations about the profile set.
So, the step to first update the device, and the device writes the Feature set back to DB makes sense to me. Hope that helps!
Import firmware from GitHub:
Continue reading and comment on the thread ‘Why iis UMS designed to only allow you to create Profiles based on firmware versions that have been applied to an IGEL OS endpoint that has registered?’. Not a member? Join Here!
Learn more, search the IGEL Knowledge Base
Ask a question or comment on the above message thread?Join or log in to the IGEL Community to ask us anything and meet other IGEL customers, partners, and EUC enthusiasts.
Submit a question, or Join Today!
Popular Message Threads
- Error “AM_ERROR_AUTH_NETWORK_ERROR ” adding store in Citrix Workspace App version 20.x on IGEL OS 11.04
- How to Install IGEL OS via a Bootable USB Drive
- How to change the default IGEL UMS admin password?
- Where to delete the certificates that cause ‘invalid certificate’ when trying to import an IGEL into UMS?
- Receiving error: “Citrix Receiver cannot create a secure connection in this browser” when launching a secure connection from Firefox on IGEL OS
- What distro of Linux the IGEL kernel is based on?
- Error connecting to Citrix StoreFront “Error adding store: Http error”